Monday, March 19, 2012

So I am now sitting home after completing my 24 hour race. Running for a 1,440 minutes without sleeping makes you really question what you are doing. At about 3:30 in the morning after already running for 15 and 1/2 hrs, I remember asking myself " Why are you really doing this? Is this for any particular reason?" That seems to be the main question that arises when talking about these ultra-distance events. I think the answer can only come after finishing and completing your goal. Wendy paced me for mile 48-60 and then at the end for the last 7 miles. If Wendy hadn't been there I can guarantee that I would not have reached my goal of 100 miles. We came across the the finish line with 10 minutes to spare at 23 hrs and 50 minutes. I can honestly say it was the hardest physical thing I have ever done. And it was totally worth it.
 THIS PICTURE WAS TAKING BEFORE THE RACE AND IS MOST LIKELY THE REASON I'M SMILING BECAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA THE PAIN THAT IS ABOUT TO BE IN MY LIFE.
 HERE I AM SLOGGING IT OUT I THINK WENDY TOOK THIS WITHIN THE LAST 10 MILES OR SO. I AM RIGHT NOW CONTEMPLATING LAYING DOWN IN THAT PUDDLE AND DYING.
 RIGHT AFTER THE LAST MILE I LAID DOWN AND DID NOT WANT TO GET UP.
THIS WAS MY FAVORITE BATTLE WOUND FROM THE RACE. MY PINKIE TOE LOOKED LIKE SOMEONE CUT IT OPEN WITH A KNIFE.

3 comments:

  1. Brian, you are an animal! love you man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100 miles? Thats cool. But you know what would be really cool? 200 Miles.

    You are nuts bro.

    Most people get tired driving 100 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just one more reason you are one of the coolest people I know!

    ReplyDelete