Thursday, August 23, 2012

1st Day in Нижний Новгород!!!



Today is the day, we have made it to our new destination. This morning we were supposed to catch a taxi at 5:45 a.m to catch our train at 6:45. Wendy and I both woke up at about 4 a.m. (due to the crazy time difference) and said to each other "He must have said the taxi is coming at 4:45. So we went out onto the street and waited... and waited... and waited. Finally at around 5:15 we decided the taxi wasn't coming to we walked to Tverskaya ulitsa and got our own. He knew I was a foreigner and wouldn't know what price to agree on so he charged me 700 rubles (about $25 ) for a ride worth about 300 rubles (ten bucks) but I had no idea uuuggghhhh darn sneaky Russians.

When we got to Nizhnyю. Wendy and I met all of our co-workers and saw the school which is under renovation. Then I had to go to the store to buy a cell phone. If you ever want to test yourself with your language skills you can go and try to buy a cell phone. It was like she was talking Chinese at me about which "plan" I should go with. I went with the cheapest plan possible and got out the door with a crummy but working cell phone for 990 rubles ($33). 


 A NICE FACTORY IN THE SUNRISE
WENDY DOING A SNEAK ATTACK PICTURE WHILE I WASN'T LOOKING. HOW RUDE.

Then we went to check out an apartment. We thought our apartment was going to be really cheap. As it turns out our school is in the center of the city and if we would like to walk to work it is going to cost a lot more.
WE WILL BE SENDING YOU BIZARRE FINDINGS FROM RUSSIA AS WE GO. OUR FIRST FIND OF THE TRIP IS THIS LITTLE DOOZY. I WOULD LIKE PEOPLE TO GUESS WHAT IS GOING ON HERE... PLEASE GIVE IT YOUR BEST SHOT.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe their cars produce gases that are beneficial to grass growth haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see that you made it safely. We are thinking of you every day and are praying for you! Can't wait to hear more - oh and Jeff said the name of that museum in Moscow is "Museum of the Great Patriotic War." Apparently a must-see! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete