Thursday, October 4, 2012

Humbling Moments

I (Wendy) have now been to three Russian classes. I was informed of some free Russian classes at the Linguistic University here in Nizhniy and took the opportunity to sign up! Who doesn't like free stuff? Well, the classes aren't quite what I had in mind. Most, if not all, our classes will be taught by different student-teachers who want to be teachers of English as a foreign language. So, we are their test-students. Three classes later, I am very lost in what is being taught. Still stuck back on the alphabet, it takes me minutes longer to read a word than any of the other students in the class. I am resigning myself to being okay with not continuing the classes. They are taught way to quick for an absolute beginner. 
I feel this pressure being here though, "I must learn Russian!" "I have a whole year, I could learn so much!"  
But, reality is, I may just learn bits and phrases here and there and I am okay with that. 

Our third class, we were to read all words and connect the appropriate phrases. RIGHT. 
Sadly, the teacher didn't even give me definitions for the words. I had to ask her. 

Lets just say, Russian is very hard to learn. There are many rules that make no sense what-so-ever. To me of course, a simple, English, Speaker. 

So, how is that humbling you ask? It is humbling because I am not good at learning Russian, I can't communicate with many of my co-workers and many of the students. Most of the time at work, I don't really know what is going on and if there are changes to the routine or schedule, someone usually has to direct me on where to go next. For those of  you that know me well, that is very difficult for me. I like to know what I'm doing and when and why. I can be very stubborn, prideful and full of myself. I will admit it. Through this job and being in Russia, I am learning, very slowly, how to humble myself. Although I seem to fall on my face daily. God is really working on me here. :) 

There are many verses in the Bible about humility, here is one of my favorites.
Ephesians 4:2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 
And another verse:
Matthew 23:12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.


Almost all the sunny days when I walk home, I have passed an older lady at her house selling flowers. I love flowers! They really brighten up a house. So, I finally got the nerve to stop and buy some. I had to tell her, I don't understand Russian, and then ask her how much? See, I know a little Russian! Using fingers, we agreed on a price. I have no idea if I paid too much, but I don't mind. $3 for 3 flowers. Most of the elderly people here need the extra money to live on. They don't get very much from the government and try to increase their income by selling vegetables, fruit or flowers. 

My new hobby. Bread baking. My goal: to be a pro at breads, rolls, pretzels (Rachel I need some tips!), and any other bread item by the time I get back to the states. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep trying. I never got past the basics: how are you, how much, who is it, where is, may I, do you want, etc. Praying for you both. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    My name is Emily.
    I just came across your blog and am curious.chow did you come to getting to teach English in Russia? I am currently studying Russian (I am in the first semester of second year at the university here in CA) and would like to teach there as well in the near future.

    ReplyDelete