Saturday, January 26, 2013

Mayle Karely Museum

While we were in Arkhangelsk, Brian and I went to the largest open air museum of wooden architecture in Russia with a group of friends. It was a great museum with many awesome buildings. It wasn't too cold out, the snow was wonderful and we were able to go sledding after viewing the buildings.
This museum was founded in 1964 and reflects the building style of the 16th-19th century Russian North village, churches and homes.
Above is a church.


From what I could tell, these windmills were created to grind grain or corn. the whole upper building is created to be turned into the wind so it can be used at any time.
A typical house might be a home for a few families and their animals during the winter.

Most of the doorways were very small. Not many of the buildings were open for viewing and there wasn't a lot of English for me to really get a lot of history from this place, but it was fun anyway.

 
Now to go sledding!!!
What a crazy experience this was! There was no order or rhythm to the sledding hill. People were going up and down all over and I was afraid of a disaster or a collision. I watched a lot of people go down before I actually went down myself. The hill was steep and very slick and I watched some people wipe out. I found the safest place to go down at and went down with Brian. It was fun, but fast!

Here is Brian, about to head down with one of the kids we were with. It was a fun day trip!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment