Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Our Train Trip with Mom


We finished visiting Saint Petersburg and got on the train to Nizhny Novogorod, our home for now. The train trip was about 14 hours.  Luckily, for the first three hours it was still daylight, so we could watch the scenery. After that it was playing games, reading, waiting, eating, and attempting to sleep...

The picture below is Mom and Brian tucked into our spot. We took the cheapest sleeper train which ended up being about $45 per person. This is the Russian third class, called Platzcart. I was rudely introduced to it last summer (2011) when Brian and I were in Russia. I say "rudely" because I was expecting our train trip would be something like the train rides in the "Harry Potter" movies. A nice little cabin with some seats that turn into beds. And doors. And maybe the candy cart?  Not quite. Well, it makes for a funny story now. 
Anyway, we still like to save money, especially since we are only making so much per hour here. Platzcart it was again this year!


Platzcart is made up of 50 bunks in one train carriage. No doors, No curtains, No privacy. I am used to it now. I make sure to have a few things with me: earplugs for the noise, something to cover my eyes (they don't turn all the lights off) and lite clothes, because it gets incredibly HOT! This trip around we weren't so lucky with our position in the carriage. We were right next to the door. So, every time someone wants to go smoke or to the toilet...the door opens, and SLAMS shut. All day, all night.  Lets just say, the three of us didn't slept much. 


The views were fun, flat of course, but we went through quite the weather change!!


A few hours later we were passing through snow! It was lovely!




My mom enjoying her tea as she looks out the window!

Our next train trip I hope to ride "kupe", Russian second class. Four berth compartment. Of course, then you never know who your neighbor will be!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment