Friday, November 9, 2012

The Hermitage

Most people don't know what the Hermitage is. I didn't as of a year ago. Last yea,r when Brian and I were in Saint Petersburg, we opted not to wait in line and go inside this very large museum of art and culture. It is one of the largest and oldest museums in the world, founded in 1764! Wow. This year, my mom showed an interest, so we headed in! Plus, being off season, the lines were much smaller!!
Now I have to admit, neither Brian or I are art fanatics. We can only take so much in visually before we burst! But, over all, I think we both enjoyed it.


The outside of the Hermitage is just as impressive as any palace in Russia! 


The first staircase was incredible! My mom is the tiny figure in the middle of the picture. Massive!!!


For all you art lovers out there. Here is one from Picasso, 1901


Another lovely room in this palace! Many of the rooms were equally as beautiful as the art in them. 


Rembrandt turned out to be my favorite painter in this museum.  This beautiful painting, Descent from the Cross is dated from 1634. 


We enjoyed walking through the many rooms!


And we will complete this blog with a painting from Van Gogh, 1890. 

To really see everything in this museum, one would have to spend a few years in it. It was that big!


No comments:

Post a Comment