Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A breath of Bison


Wendy and I went to the Zoo here in Nizhny Novgorod on Saturday. It is called Лимпопо (Limpopo). One thing that is for sure is that Russian zoos knock the socks of any American zoo out there, the reason why? You might I ask. You can feed the animals here, which means they are total full blown beggars, which means they would knock down the fence to get to you if it meant tasting a carrot that you have in your hand. You could literally get bit by a fox or a badger if you wanted because almost every animal is just behind on fence that is easy to slip food through. We had one of the best times at a zoo of our lives. 

The front gates of the most amazing zoo ever!!! The top says Limpopo and the middle says zoopark.
 Here is Boris the Bison sweet talking Wendy into giving him a tasty treat. He asked for a kiss too, but Wendy said here heart belongs to someone else.
 How could anyone resist a mouth like this? Tossing a carrot in that mouth is like one of those carnival games where you have to get all the rings on a soda bottle.
This lady is selling food for animal feeding. It costs 15 rubles (50cents) for an ice cream cone filled with bread, carrots, apples and other tasty delights. 
 Feeding camels is and llamas is really fun because they use their lips to grab the food out of your hand. It feels so nice and soft you could just kiss them... uuhhhh I meant feed them.

 This little arctic fox was my favorite little guy in the whole zoo. Do you see what I mean you could just reach your hand through and pet him if you wanted too. I would not advise it though seeing as he is used to only food coming through the fence and your hand would not be spared.
 Wendy snapped a cool shot of a babooska feeding a llama. These llamas will actually pay attention to you because of the food. Most llamas could care less about humans, which is too bad because they are sooooo cute.
 A chorus line of owls, I'm sure at night when they are awake, the other animals are treated to an awesome barbershop quintet of "hoo, hooo, hoooooo, hooooo"
Can everyone see what I mean about the begging? Seriously, in America this animal would be behind a five foot gap and be totally disinterested in humans. Here I put the food in his little pay. I wanted to take him home with us too. 

 No this is not photoshopped in. Those are actual feather bonnets on these ducks. I'm not sure what explanation evolution would have for this one, but I'm sure it couldn't be because it made them more attractive because those little hats just make them look plain silly, and ducks already look silly.
 I found Gandolf of the Goats. He told me I must go on a great journey to destroy a special necklace that was forged in the fires of Mt. Baaaaa. Then it got a little harder to understand him because I only studied two years of goat language when I was younger.
 Thankfully the tiger was behind glass and not some puny fence like the rest of the animals. It is truly amazing to put your face 10 centimeters from a tigers face. Their heads are huge!!!
People here in Russia love Wiener Dogs. We have seen a ton of them being walked on the street. Wendy decided it was a good chance to pay tribute wiener dogs of all nations by sitting on their great leader's statue... How rude!!! 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE reading your blog! Brian, you are SO funny and it really makes me wish that I could be there. hahahaha I went to a zoo in Moscow once and there was a monkey sleeping on a bench fully clothed and he wore little shoes on his feet. So, I totally know what you mean! Glad you are having a good time. :)

    ReplyDelete