Thursday, September 13, 2012

Randomness

I have a collection of pictures from some random days when I took one or two; not enough for a whole blog post. So, here are a few of them!!

Last week on the first day of classes, a clown came to class. He did many magic tricks and some fun things along with music. The kids enjoyed it and so did we!


At the school we are required to have inside shoes and outside shoes. Lucky for me, I brought enough shoes to designate a pair to stay at school. But, as many of you know, Brian packs light. He did bring 2 pairs of shoes at least, but we had to go to a shoe store to find him a pair of inside shoes. Here he is, deliberating..."do I spend $15, or $11?"  Brian is also thrifty (cheap at times) and doesn't like spending money on things he probably won't be taking back to the states with us. I am the same way. It was a struggle to buy some kitchen items that we use everyday, but won't be taking back with us. 


Just a picture of a pretty house I saw, I love the bright blue on this one! This is in a smaller town about 30 miles from Nizhny. We went on a day excursion last Saturday, hoping to get into a fun museum/factory of matryoshka dolls. Well, the factory ended up closing at 1PM, about 1 hour before we got there. And then we had to wait at the train station for 3 hours for the next train back to the city. It was a slow day. :)


We did enjoy walking the streets though and looking at the houses in the smaller town. Does anyone notice anything strange about this next picture? 


Mushroom picking in the forest is a very popular thing to do right now for Russians. I think we will have our first opportunity to do that this Saturday. We were invited by some people at school. I don't think I will be eating any of the mushrooms, since I'm a little unsure of which mushroom is which, but it will be fun to get out of the city once again!!

3 comments:

  1. The sign says "STOP" !! :o) I love hearing about how things are going there! Keep up the posts - Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brad and Emily, sorry to say we don't have any Chines kids. We do have an Arabic speaking child though. Poor kid was pretty freaked out the first day he arrived. He speaks a little English, so I feel special because I can communicate with him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The STOP sign is in English. But, I haven't seen many other signs in your photos so maybe that is normal? I have noticed English in most larger cities I have traveled to in Europe. Less common in smaller towns.

    I love this blog. Thank you for taking the time to do it and share this adventure. It is such an amazing opportunity.
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete