Saturday, May 21, 2011

My 2nd Day in Russia


ME WITH GALYA AND IVAN NIKOLAIOVICH, IVAN WAS SITTING BY HIS APARTMENT AND WE STARTED TALKING TO HIM AND HE JUST LOOKED SO STINKING COOL!!!

      So I have been in Russia for two days now and I feel as though I can't write it all down on this blog without it taking up the whole page. When I got off the plane in Sheremetyovo airport I walked right past Drew(the man who was supposed to pick me up) because he wasn't who I expected to see and I only was carrying a backpack and he told me that most Americans bring "everything but the kitchen sink" so I had to try to call someone however the payphones in Russia are all weird looking and they need a card so I asked " девушка, где можно купить карточку для телефона?" She told me somewhere on the 3rd floor so I went there to a kiosk and asked again and another lady told me "Они не бывают...those don't exist" So I am stuck at the airport debating wether to take the metro( which i don't know how to use) to a place that I don't even know the area. I know this post doesn't really do the justice, but I was genuinely worried about what to do. Finally after 1.5 hours a man that I recognized from earlier came up to me and asked if I was Brian. He was frustrated but we laughed later about it. The ride in the taxi van to our place was one of the most fun expieriences of my entire life. I couldn't believe what the Russian driving style was like, I can only liken it to

                                              
  THE TAJIKI MEN WHO LIVE ACROSS THE STREET, I WENT AND TALKED TO THEM AND I WAS INSTANTLY INVITED TO DINNER... I AM SO STOKED TO GO AND EAT THERE!!!!

a chase scene in a movie where the criminal will do almost anything, and i mean anything to get away from the cops. I was having so much fun and our driver named Nikolai loved talking to me about everything.
           There is a retreat at the Bible College where I am staying and I have met some absolutley amazing people so far. It would take way too long to describe everyone so just take my word for it.


MY GOOD FRIEND OLEG AND I WITH LOCAL BOY NIKITA WHO WAS SO HAPPY TO MEET         AN AMERICAN AND SAID I LOOKED LIKE A CHARACTER FROM A VIDEO GAME.

We walked to a war memorial today which marked the closest spot the Nazi's got to Moscow. I felt unworthy to be standing in a spot where so much blood was spilled and so many people gave their lives. I told my friends that it was the first time in my life I stood in a real war zone, they all gave amazing perspectives on what WWII really meant to Russians. These two boys rode their bikes and Galya bought them some ice cream. Today was truly a lot of fun!!!!


3 comments:

  1. If Brian was a character in a video game, I wonder which one it would be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, you're like a kid in a candy store! I bet you are having a blast immersing yourself. And yes, the drivers are CRAZY. I remember fearing for my life riding in taxis.

    ReplyDelete