Monday, May 30, 2011

Flooding and Pel Meni

After getting back from church on Sunday, the director of the house here told me the basement was full of water and we needed to bail it out. I was thinking it was an emergency, but apparently the house we live at was built on top of a water hole so about every 3 days the basement gets about 5 inches deep in water. So I began bailing it out and dumping it into another area with a working sub-pump.


 THIS IS ANDREI THE NEIGHBOR BOY WHO WATCHED ME BAIL OUT THE BASEMENT... IT STILL IS WEIRD TO ME THAT LITTLE CHILDREN SPEAK PERFECT RUSSIAN, I ALWAYS EXPECT TO HEAR ENGLISH AND THEN I'M ALWAYS SURPRISED... BUT THEY ARE CUTE.

After finishing bailing out the basement I was excited to find that (пель мени) Pel Meni were made for dinner. These are Russian dumplings filled with really yummy meat. Back in Juneau, Alaska they have a diner to eat these however they are Amercianized and nothing like the real thing. The real way is to put sour cream and mayonaise on them and I must say they are really good this way.
                                   
THAT'S RIGHT ALL YOU FAKE PEL MENI LOVERS IN ALASKA, THIS IS THE REAL DEAL!!! ALTHOUGH I MUST ADMIT BOTH WAYS REAL AND FAKE ARE BOTH VERY TASTY. 

2 comments:

  1. no more meni's in Juneau, health code violation shut them down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me a snob, but Peminis in Juneau has NEVER been good- not even close to the real Russian goodness!

    ReplyDelete