Friday, June 3, 2011

My 1st Banya

Yesterday we had a Shashlik (Russian-shish kabob) barbecue. That was really fun and afterwards we played volleyball, and sat around playing Rummy. The day was pretty fun and relaxing, I guess everyone here gets stressed out from all the work that has to be done. Truthfully I don't really feel like it is that stressful but I don't cook which as far as I can see is a large portion of the work that needs to be done.
ANTON PREPPING THE SHASHLIK BY CUTTING EVERYTHING INTO LITTLE PIECES AND SOAKING THEM IN KVASS AND VINEAGER. 

After cards and clean up Anton decided it was time for my first Russian Banya experience. I had always heard that Banya was something that Russians take pride in and Americans usually pass out from the sheer heat. I was excited to prove tradition wrong and stay in just as long as Anton. But before we could go in, пареца had to prepped. These are branches that are used to beat each other in the banya which by Russian medical expertise says that it opens your skin pores and allows cleansing to take place. Truthfully I had no idea the pain that was about to be inflicted on my entire body.
          NADIA, ANTON, AND I PLAYING SOME SERIOUS POST MEAL VOLLEYBALL.

Even typing this now reminds me of the sheer heat that hit me as soon as I opened the door to banya. The celsius temp was 98 which doesn't mean much to us Americans, but when I did the calculations it came out to 208.4 degrees F. I wanted so bad to out last Anton, however when you start to get so lightheaded you are  starting to see that tunnel starting in your vision, you know it's time to take a break. My body temp was officially through the roof when Anton says in his broken English " We just begin, we still beat you with branch" I had know idea what to expect, so I laid on my stomach leaving my back up waiting for Anton to "tenderize" me like a hard steak. The only way I thought of to describe it was if someone took a piece of wood out of a bonfire and began beating you on the back with it. The pain was just under unbearable and all could do was say to myself "You can do it, just a few seconds more". When he finally said " okay now outside" I was so amazed to find that my back instantly felt so great. It was like someone had poked thousands of little holes in my back and now oxygen was flowing into the deepest layers of my skin and it felt really good.
THE Пареца SOAKING IN KVASS AND WATER WAITING FOR THEIR CHANCE TO SCAR MY TENDER BACK.

THE BANYA AFTER MY TORTURE SESSION. ANTON USED THAT SPRAY BOTTLE ON THE HEATER WHICH RAISED THE TEMP WITH EVERY PUMP.

After getting every inch of body beatin with branches by Anton, it was my turn to inflict the same pain on him. However I never saw him even wince once, he was so relaxed the entire time I was laying into his legs, back, stomach, and chest with birch branches. I thought that he must be feeling the nerve searing pain that I was just recovering from, he just seemed to feel nothing but enjoyment. Russians are tough people I didn't stand a chance in that banya.
THE WOOL HAT THAT IS WORN IN THE RUSSIAN BANYA... I THINK IT HAS A SHOT TO COME INTO STYLE.

I slept so hard last night, I hit the sleep button on my alarm three times which I haven't done once yet since getting to Russia. Banya was a truly relaxing experience and I know there will be more to come.

2 comments:

  1. When you come viset we are so gonna builda banya and beat eachother with branches

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, this whole post had me laughing out loud. Camels and banyas. I'm so glad I never had the pleasure of a banya...

    ReplyDelete