Sunday, June 19, 2011

My Last Day in Snegiri

Today is the last day for me (Wendy) here in Snegiri, Russia. It started off a very rainy, misty type of day. Much like Oregon. Is this getting me ready to come home to rain?? After lunch we took off on the electric train to another town further from Moscow, called Istra. We had heard there was a cool synagogue there to check out. The New Jerusalem Monastery. Built in the 1600's. Much of the monastery was destroyed by the Germans as they retreated during WWII. Most has been restored except for the main cathedral. We could only see parts. I did think there was a certain beauty to the ruins.

I always seem to post more pictures than Brian, so be prepared. After the morning rain, it did become quite humid and warm.
 BRIAN WITH THE TWO GREETERS TO THE MONASTERY
 ME IN FRONT OF THE CATHEDRAL. A LOT OF SCAFFOLDING ALSO

 INSIDE, THE STAIRCASES AND DOORWAYS WERE MY FAVORITE
 YOU CAN EASILY SEE THE DAMAGE TO THE WALLS, IMAGINE THE WHOLE CATHEDRAL THIS WAY.
 THIS WALL AND TOWERS SURROUNDED THE WHOLE CATHEDRAL.
 WE DID A LOT OF STARING TODAY, DAYDREAMING BY THE ISTRA RIVER.

FOR ALL MY JUNEAU FRIENDS WHO WILL RECOGNIZE THIS FLOWER. IT MADE ME THINK OF YOU. 


Tomorrow I head to the airport for my journey home. I am slightly relieved to get back home and the United States. I love traveling, but living out of a suitcase gets old and "home" is a nice comfort. I'm hoping that will make it easier to leave my husband here for two more months. Prayers are always welcome for our separation. Thanks everyone! 

1 comment:

  1. Love that they have fireweed there! I miss you both!

    Morgan

    ReplyDelete